post #2 ˗ˏˋ being a "digital native" ´ˎ˗

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷  I can't recall a time when Microsft Word wasn't used in my classrooms. I had been taught how to use it a while back, and since then it has been my most-used app to write essays and important papers. I have always found its interface to be straightforward and easy to use. Even still, I would like to explore the more creative features that Word has to offer - I am accustomed to strictly-formatted, black-and-white papers. When taking notes, I usually learn better when I am able to physically write information down with a pen and paper. I love using color and being able to emphasize important points with a highlighter. In situations that I use my computer, I usually take note using Google Docs - I think that it offers less strict layout options and I have more freedom with how I want to format my paper.

ੈ✩‧₊˚  To me, the most important ISTE Standards for Educators would be learning. From my experience, a teacher cannot be a teacher if they are not learning, even if it's not directly observable. The experience of being around students with different backgrounds, perspectives, cultures, and more allows for a chance to learn something new around every corner. A teacher who is not open to learn will not go far in their career at an emotional state - years will surely become monotonous, and there will be little intellectual gain aside from the base knowledge teachers begin their job with. While teachers can learn a lot from their students in terms of technology, I would say that it is equally important that teachers learn about their students' lifestyles, ways of thinking, and more.

ੈ✩‧₊˚  I am not quite sure whether I would label myself as a digital native or not. Growing up, I never had technology to help when taking notes in class, and I loved nothing more than getting lost in the pages of a book. At the same time, I watched my parents get their first iPhones, and had a tablet to work with in middle school. I am well-versed in technology, but it has been only somewhat present throughout my earlier life. If I had to choose one over the other, I would consider myself to be a digital immigrant - I remember my mother teaching me to read with a set of books she used with her students, and I spent my childhood playing outside. It is a complicated concept, considering the importance of socioeconomic status and family dynamics. I think these factors (and more) are incredibly important to whether someone is a digital native or not.

Comments

Popular Posts